- 4. Large Flat Mushrooms (stems trimmed)
- 85g (1 standard size small pack) Sage and Onion Stuffing
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Vegan Margarine
- 1 Medium White Onion diced
- 1 Garlic Clove crushed
- 2 T. Fresh Parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Brush oil around a medium sized baking dish.
- Heat the margarine in a pan over medium high heat.
- Add garlic and onions and sauté for 6/7 minutes. Stir in stuffing and parsley.
- Evenly distribute mixture to mushroom caps.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes on the middle shelf of your pre heated oven. Stuffing should appear lightly browned and crisp.
I served this with a light babyleaf salad.
I’ve been neglecting this spectacular little blog of mine over recent months due to life, work and domestic stresses. But I’m back and plan to update more often as I still have so many readers (which is terribly humbling!).
Tonight I made a Portobello Mushroom Bake from a recipe in one of my favourite cook books The Garden of Vegan (which you can get here). As the recipe is available from its creator I shan’t plagiarize here but post an, albeit slightly grainy, image of the finished result. Needless to say it was delicious!
This recipe called for ‘Braggs’ which is a soy sauce-like liquid amino. This is available via mail order in the UK but not easy to get hold of in Edinburgh, so I substituted with (vegan) Tamari.
I spent today having a spring clean (in the autumn, as I hate to conform), so have spent the day battling with dust mites, my foulest foe. In short, & without getting too gory, I’ve been sneezing most of today, so energy has been low, I decided to veer from the weekly menu for a night and have a hearty mushroom bake.
Another music-less day, though I did listen to a couple of talks by the wonderful Stephen Fry as I cooked.
Mushroom Bake, served with rice
- 50ml Groundnut Oil (or Olive Oil)
- 50ml Light Soy Sauce
- 25ml Water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoon Oregano
- 1 tablespoon Rosemary
- 1 medium Onion, halved and sliced
- 350g Open cup Mushrooms (with stalks removed)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (Gas Mark 4)
- Mix Oil, Water, Soy Sauce, Garlic, Vinegar, Oregano & Rosemary and blend together.
- Slice mushrooms in half and place into a large oven-proof dish, add onion on top.
- Pour sauce onto mushrooms.
- Bake in the oven for 2o minutes.
- Serve with rice