Waking up early on a Sunday is a rare occurrence, especially for me, I celebrated this morning’s early rise by making a variation of a full Scottish breakfast with Potato Scones & Veggie Sausage made from scratch, oooh check me! I left veggie bacon out of this one, but plan to try making this from scratch at some point.
Here’s my method:
A Sunday Breakfast
- 350g Mashed Potato
- 150g Plain Flour (white or wholemeal)
- 25g Vegan/Soy Margarine
- 4 Tablespoons of Cooking Oil
- Mix flour, Margarine & Potato in a large bowl, try to ensure mix doesn’t become too dry
- Empty mixture onto a flat surface and roll flat (to a height of no more than 0.5cm) cut into triangles (if mixture is particularly sticky pop scones into a medium hot oven for 5-10 mins)
- Cook Scones in a frying pan or on a griddle, around 2 minutes each side, or until golden.
- 125g TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein, you can make this yourself or buy dried at health food shops)
- To make TVP from scratch you’ll need Soy Beans or Chickpeas (dried, not from cans) which weigh 125g when cooked + 15g plain flour & 1/4 tablespoon Tumeric
- 1/2 tablespoon thyme
- Cold water
- Cooking Oil
- If making TVP from scratch soak beans overnight ready to cook. When cooked, drain & cool then preheat the oven to a medium/low heat. Process the beans until smooth, but still with little chucks. Spread the mixture over the baking trays and put in the middle of the oven. Every 15 minutes remove from the oven & mix up the mixture & spread back out to toast evenly. It may take 30-45 mins but remove from oven when fairly toasted all over. To use let cool and add enough cold water to make the mix sticky then add flour & tumeric.
- If using shop bought TVP regenerate as per instructions (normally 1 cup water to 1 cup TVP)
- Add thyme to TVP
- Shape into Sausage shapes
- Fry in cooking oil (alternatively coat in a little oil and grill).
Cherry Tomato & Mushroom mix
- 6 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 6 Medium closed cup Mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small White Onion
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed Herbs
- Salt (pinch)
- 1/2 teaspoon soy Margarine
- Cooking Oil
- Cook onions in oil until partially cooked (not quite translucent).
- Add all other ingredients and cook until mushrooms (stirring constantly) are soft & edible.
We had all of this with canned baked beans, which were the only thing not homemade. One day I’ll attempt the 1hr it takes to create your own, a day when I’ve too much time to kill, for now the 30p for a can was no biggie.