As I’m Scottish and Burns Night is just a couple of days away (25th Jan) I thought I’d share recipes I’ve penned for our home-made Burns Supper.
Traditionally a Burns Supper is a bit of an offal fest and a fair number of meat eaters prefer a veggie or vegan option to the traditional Scottish Fayre. I created these recipes with that in mind. The meal consists of:
- Starter: Cock-a-leekie Soup
- Main: Haggis Neeps & Tatties
- Dessert: Clootie Dumpling Continue reading
This mousse is tangy, light and lovely and the recipe is adapted from the cook book A Vegan Taste of East Africa.
- 6 Passion Fruits
- 225ml of fresh orange juice (if possible, not from concentrate)
- 225ml of unsweetened soya milk
- 25g cornflour
- 25g light brown sugar
- Cut each passion fruit in half and scoop out the seeds and pulp and place into a small saucepan, add the orange juice and bring to the boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for no more than 2 minutes, strain the juice (through a sieve) into a jug. Set the pulp aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the cornflour and sugar and add the soya milk until the mixture is very smooth, add the juice from the jug and mix together until well combined.
- Pour mixture into a heavy bottomed pan and cook on a medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the thickened mixture into 4 individual serving dishes and place in a fridge to chill. Garnish with the seeds and pulp from the passion fruit before serving.
Banana & Chocolate Pudding
Serves 2 large or 4 small portions
- 350g firm silken Tofu
- 100g vegan dark chocolate
- 2 bananas (quartered)
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder
- Blend tofu until smooth and even.
- Melt chocolate (tip, melt in a glass bowl over boiling water or in a double boiler), stir constantly, then add syrup and vanilla extract to melted chocolate and mix together.
- Mix chocolate mix with tofu, add banana and mix until creamy.
- Place in a cold fridge for 10 minutes.
- Sieve a small amount of Cocoa Powder on top of the pudding before serving.