Keeping on the faux cheese theme for this easy recipe. I finally perfected an easily grate-able, if a tad crumbly but none-too-shabby vegan “cheese”.
I can’t claim this has the most realistic cheese flavour and certainly wont fool an omnivore – but I’ve yet to find a home-made or pre-packaged vegan cheese that surpasses it, particularly in its texture.
- 30g corn flour
- 30g vegan margarine
- 2 table spoons of yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of salt.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan then lower to a medium heat and stir in the corn flour gradually and mix until it thickens and is lump free .
- Mix in the nutritional yeast flakes, garlic powder, soy sauce and salt then allow to cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Press into a greased container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (ideally longer).