It has taken me a while to write this one up, so my knowledge of the trial & error methods employed are a little sketchy, however it was rather lovely, so here are the basics:
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (peeled & chopped)
- 2 small red chillies (seeded & finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- splash vinegar
- 400g extra firm Tofu (drained & diced)
- 1 courgette, diced
- 1/2 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 medium carrot, halved & sliced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Parsley to garnish (optional)
- Combine garlic, chillies, 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil + all herbs and spices (except pepper) in a food processor, until smooth, set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil in a frying pan or skillet over a medium heat, add diced Tofu and cook (turning regularly) until golden brown on all sides (takes 7 – 8 mins), transfer to a bowl (lined with kitchen paper, if available) and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a medium to large pan over a medium heat, add onion & carrot and cook for 2 – 3 minutes then add courgette & cauliflower, cover the pan and cook for a further 4 – 5 minutes.
- Uncover and add spice paste mix with the vegetables and stir for 1 minute, then stir in tomatoes and peas and bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until vegetables are tender (10 – 12 minutes).
- Add tofu and cook for a further 10 minutes (if curry is too thick add a dash of water and mix through)
- Serve with optional garnish of fresh Parsley or Coriander leaves & an olive.
For a less spicy version remove the chillies and instead add 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne & 1/4 teaspoon of dry mustard to the spice paste mix.