I love Oreos and although when bought in America these are Vegan (bar their unknown sugar refining processes) but the British and European versions almost always contain whey, which is no good for dairy-free types, so this is my attempt at an Oreo-style biscuit / cookie recipe. They are similar to Gypsy Creams but with a far more cocoa-infused biscuit base.
I tailored this recipe from a number of others I found (including that in Vegan Cookies invade your cookie jar), my version is greatly simplified.
Chocolate Cream Sandwich (Oreo Style) Cookies
Makes 24 Cookies
- 190 ml / 3/4 Cup of solid vegetable oil (non hydrogenated / shortening)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons of Vanilla Essence
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) Soy Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 Cup of dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of Cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together the solid veg. oil and sugar until creamy and fluffy in texture then add milk & vanilla essence and mix together.
- Add Cocoa, Cornflour, Salt & Baking Soda and mix into a dough.
- Preheat oven to Gas Mark 4 / 350ºF.
- Pop Dough into the fridge for 10 minutes or so to cool.
- Line 2 large baking / cookie trays with baking parchment & remove dough from the fridge.
Pinch off small amounts of dough and roll into small balls (slightly smaller than ping-pong ball size). Place balls onto parchment, then use a small amount of parchment and the back of a spatula to flatten the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 12 – 15 minutes then let them cool, while you mix the filling together.
- 1/4 Cup of solid vegetable oil (non hydrogenated / shortening)
- 1/4 Cup of Vegan Magarine
- 3 Cups of Icing sugar
- 1 & 1/5 teaspoons of Vanilla essence.
- Cream together Vegan Marg & Solid Oil.
- Stir in powdered sugar until combined.
- Mix in vanilla essence.
Put into the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Pop a 3cm (approx) ball of filling onto cookie base and sandwich another on top pushing down until filling reaches the edges.